End of Year Expectations
for Year 5
- Count forwards and backward with positive and negative numbers through zero.
- Count forwards/backwards in steps of powers of 10 for any given number up to 1,000,000.
- Compare and order numbers up to 1,000,000.
- Compare and order numbers with 3 decimal places.
- Read Roman numerals to 1,000.
- Identify all multiples and factors, including finding all factor pairs.
- Use known tables to derive other number facts.
- Recall prime numbers up to 19.
- Recognise and use square numbers and cube numbers.
- Recognise place value of any number up to 1,000,000.
- Round any number up to 1,000,000 to the nearest 10, 100, 1000, 10,000 or 100,000.
- Round decimals with 2 decimal places to nearest whole number and 1 decimal place.
- Add and subtract numbers with more than 4-digits using formal written method.
- Use rounding to check answers.
- Multiply 4-digits by 1-digit/ 2-digit
- Divide up to 4-digits by 1-digit
- Multiply & divide whole numbers & decimals by 10, 100 and 1,000
- Recognise and use thousandths.
- Recognise mixed numbers and improper fractions and convert from one to another.
- Multiply proper fractions and mixed numbers by whole numbers.
- Identify and write equivalent fractions.
- Solve time problems using timetables and converting between different units of time.
End of Year Expectations for Year 5
Continual practice of addition and subtraction facts for all numbers to 50 and also multiplication and division facts for 2,3,4,6,10, 11 and 12 times tables.
Please encourage your child to discuss the work they have been doing in maths and look for any opportunities to apply this to other contexts and situations.